Attention Mamby on the Beach fans! Looking to score a VIP pass to everyone’s favorite beach festival while helping a good cause?
Last year a small and dedicated group of React Presents staff vowed to raise money for the initiatives crucial to the Bronzeville community of Chicago (which is right next to where Mamby on the Beach is held.) They asked friends and family to sponsor them while they literally took the plunge into the freezing waters of Lake Michigan in the not quite spring weather of the Midwest.
This year, React has invited fans with a thick skin to join them in taking the plunge to help raise money for the charities of West Point Missionary Baptist Church and the KLEO Community of Life Center.
Here are the details:
The Mamby Plunge set to take place on Saturday March 24th at Oakwood Beach. Participants must be 18 and over with a valid Government ID. Anyone who raises $125 and does the plunge will receive 1 two-day VIP Pass, 1 Official Mamby Plunge towel, shirt and drawstring bag. Not only that, but the person who raises the most money will be rewarded with the 2 two-day Artist Passes, which grants them backstage and guest area access with complimentary drinks all weekend long.
Here’s a little something about the charities being helped:
WEST POINT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH:
As a 100-year-old congregation, we understand our mandate to serve others, and we work diligently to live out our calling to all we meet, irrespective of socio-economic and geographic standing, as well as race, culture, creed, relationship preference, etc. Provided are a list of community engagements our local church has sponsored, and continue to engage:
- Dare to Care Community and Resource Fair (9 years)
- HIV/AIDS Workshop and Awareness, which includes status testing on Sunday mornings bi-annually (7 years)
- Blue Bow Campaign—raising awareness about and fighting against child abuse (10 years)
- Domestic Violence and Advocacy—raising awareness about and fighting for victims of domestic violence (10 years)
- Breast Cancer Awareness (12 years) • Food Pantry and Clothing Ministry—weekly distribution; recognize by the Chicago Greater Food Depository as one of Chicago’s best pantries; serving over 20,000 families yearly (12 years).
- Mental Health and Wellness (6 years)
KLEO COMMUNITY FAMILY LIFE CENTER:
KLEO offers a dependable, caring environment and diverse positive outlets for adolescent’s and teens whose life have been impacted by poverty, teen pregnancy, gangs and other challenges. The program is designed to provide children with a warm, supportive environment where they have an opportunity to enjoy activities, make choices, develop responsibilities, build character and stimulate their curiosity.
- Youth Empowerment (Safe Haven, Youth Workforce Development, After School Matters)
- One Summer Chicago + Program 7 week program 30 hour per week on work site Age Requirement 16-24
- After School Programs Ages 6-12 Math, Reading & Science Tutoring Arts & Crafts Classes Computer Classes Kids Café-Healthy Eating Education
- After School Matters Program (Partnership) Ages 13-18 Music Lessons (read, write & compose) Poetry Classes Dance Classes Acting Classes